Aside from the FUN, innovative classes offered,
did you know quality After School Programs:
- Give children activity choices, engage them in enrichment activities, and support socialization and team learning
- Pay academic dividends during the school day, whether or not the class is classified as “academic,” because programs feature reading, language comprehension and analytic thought.
- Provide opportunities for group projects which enhance children’s learning, as do music, art, theatre, and computer activities, as well as
reading for pleasure and writing for an audience.
- Let students connect with teachers in a lower teacher-child ratio setting. Such meaningful interactions are associated with more positive interactions, less negativity, and more flexible
and age-appropriate activities.
- Allow students (most markedly boys) greater flexibility to make choices in their class activities, which research connects to better social skills with classroom peers.
- Can decrease TV viewing behavior in children!! Researchers found that children watch far more television at home after school than they do at after-school programs. In numerous studies, time viewing television has been associated with lower reading achievement and more frequent behavior problems among children.